Colette has always been a firm favourite for patterns which me and as you should all know by now I am a sucker for patterns. Learning that they go that extra bit is quite exciting and since I have signed up for a subscription to Seamwork I’ve been reaping the rewards.
Every month I get two credits to spend on 2 patterns from the Seamwork library and on top of that I get top tips, articles, techniques and creative ideas into my inbox!
I’ve got quite a collection now, but I’m eager to start on the ‘Akita’ as I have two pieces of fabric that fit the bill. But more on that, once I have finished the Sophia Top & Skirt! I just love Akita!
Most of the top tips have proven quite useful have helped me in my sewing adventures!
I’m also signed up to Snippets with Colette and get regular updates and tips via email – they are just great and spur me on with my creative juice – like I need any more juice.
I have a referral link if you would like to join, that way you get your first month 1/2 price – we all win!
I’m not being sponsored but any company or anyone – just trying to share the sewing love!
On that note of patterns – I am trying to have an online database of all my patterns to date! I’m currently noting all of them down and then I will input them into a spreadsheet and I can then access it via drop box – go me!
On the last update, I mentioned that I had graded the pattern up following a couple of resources online, which I did but then I back tracked and went for the biggest size on the pattern as they said they were the sizes are quite roomy.
The skirt has worked out rather quite well with pleats too. Fairly chuffed with myself considering it was probably quite foolish and risky to do so.
On reflection, I may add 1/2 inch to all sides just to give a little room for that wedding breakfast!
I like the length, it’s ideal as it will show off the shoes I intend to wear and I won’t (hopefully I won’t) trip up running (ahem I mean dancing 😂😂😂) around in the Ceilidh!
Like I said in update one, the top should be fine, in fact, it isn’t – as it back needs altering as the fabric catches. I also need darts either side of the front bodice. It also needs an inch to have that hanging effect the pattern shows! Argh!
Here’s me thinking it would be a breeze, yeah right ..
I’m going to have to amend the top somehow, better get cracking!
And so I did amend the top by going back to the pattern and adding 2cms to the seam. There is a lot less scrunching up at the back and I feel I can actually breathe in it 😁
High five to me!
I will let you all know how it all goes in Update 3 – cutting the real fabric!!
Oh the funny thing is that my husband thought I was wearing this tuille to the actual wedding – EH NO!! I had to give my reason to why I wasn’t wearing white to the wedding of my closest friends’!
Online Resources used to figure out how to grade up these sneaky pleats:
Well I knew in my head that I would have to grade up the skirt of Sophia for sure. The Pleats were moved as well so they hopefully should sit perfectly. Giving myself a high for staying sane on that one! Thanks Mum!
The instructions of the Sophia say to make a muslin toile before cutting any fabric, which I will do because I want to see where these pleats will lie now that I’ve moved them and added inches onto each edge.
I remember doing some grading up for the green Butterick Dress and it seemed to be a tad easier, not only no pleats but the tutor on the class did most of the mathematical bits!!
The top of Sophia should be ok but I’m still going to make a toile, just to be sure! Haven’t adding any extra outwards but may add for length like Red W Sews did for hers but I will see what it’s like in toile form!
The pattern spoke to me as soon as I received it with the Love Sewing magazine. It’s so simple and ticks the boxes for a friends’ wedding, which is in four weeks time. Yes, I aim to make this top and skirt set in under 4 weeks and not have a nervous breakdown! I’m told it can be done. I’m just hoping at the end of a Ceilidh I will still be dressed!
The pattern is the 2 in 1 Sophia Top & Skirt #017 by Simple Sew.
I’ve the had fabric for a wee while as I had a vision of the finished garment in my head and I have a sneaky feeling it might be because I actually saw the colour combination in the magazine.
For the top fabric, I’m going to go with this sequin gold fabric from John Lewis. I’m intending to make the top slightly longer just to suit myself. It has some stretch so I’m planning to set up the overlocker for the first time ever and stitch the edges!
The skirt will be made using the lovely Damson Stretch cotton from the Cloth Spot.
Notice I tucked a little fasinator in the same photo. Not sure if this would look too much but it was a wee bargain in the sales! And also my hair situation is still yet to be finalised … Another drama!
I’ve also lining too, even though the pattern states no lining I think it would be a better finish if it were lined.
So here goes … And I will update on a weekly basis as the dress (hopefully) comes together!
But before I head off into fabric dreams I would like to say a big thanks to RedWSews as she gave loads of tips via Instagram and her blog post documenting her Sophia, puts me at ease!